Apply for copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates
Records we hold
If the birth, death or marriage happened outside of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole you will need to contact the register office for that area.
Where to find registration records
Due to boundary changes over the years, records have been kept at various locations. The guide below will help you contact the correct Register Office.
Christchurch Marriage Records
- Churches before 1st July 1837 Dorset History Centre
- Churches 1st July 1837 to present day* - Bournemouth
- Hotel and Licenced venues 01st April 1997 to 31st March 2019 – Dorset
- Hotel and Licenced venues from 01st April 2019 – BCP
* Churches – we recommend you check with church office first. If the Register is held with them, they will be able to issue you with the certificate required.
Christchurch Birth and Death Records
- Births and Deaths 01st July 1837 to 31st March 1997 – Bournemouth
- Births and Deaths 01st April 1997 to 31st March 2019 – Dorset
- Births and Deaths from 01st April 2019 - BCP
For Births, Deaths or Marriages which have taken place outside of Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole – Please contact the relevant Register Office for that district.
If you are unsure whether we hold a record, contact us at BCP or call 01202 454919
Before you start
You'll need the following information before you apply:
Date and place of birth, full name and parent's names.
If you need an adoption certificate, you will need to apply to the General Register Office.
Date and place of death and full name of deceased.
Date and place of marriage, full names of couple.
Civil partnership certificates
Date and place of civil partnership, full names and address of couple at time of registration.
Apply for a Certificate
Buy copies of birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates.
Standard Copy certificates Fee £11.00 - Sent 2nd class post
Express Copy Certificate Service Fee £35.00 - Sent 1st class post
Signed for delivery available - £2 additional charge
Other ways to apply
Contact by phone:
01202 454919 - BCP - Bournemouth office
01305 225153 - Dorset Council (Dorchester)