Register a birth
Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have introduced stricter limits on informants to contain the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Until further notice we will not be booking any birth or notice of marriage appointments.
See further information about changes to services.
Every birth in England and Wales must be registered within 42 days (6 weeks) of the child being born.
Book an appointment to register a birth
You can book an appointment online for Poole. For Christchurch and Bournemouth call 01202 633 744
You can choose one of our offices for your appointment:
- Town Hall, Bourne Avenue, Bournemouth BH2 6DY
- Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch, BH23 1AZ
- The Guildhall, 8 Market St, Poole BH15 1NF
Who can register a birth
- The mother of the child.
- The father of the child. If legally married to the mother when the child was born or conceived. If this is the case, please bring a marriage certificate to the appointment
- If the parents are unmarried, either the mother can register alone or, if the father's details are to be entered, both parents need to attend. If both parents' details are on the birth certificate, it shows they have equal rights and responsibilities for the child.
- In the case of same sex parents please call us and we will explain how to register your child.
If you are unsure about whether you can register, please get in touch. We will be happy to answer your questions.
Where to register a birth
You can register a birth in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole at one of our register offices. Christchurch residents Please contact our Poole office to book your appointment at your preferred office.
What you'll need to tell us
The registrar will need to know:
the date and place of the birth (the time is only required in the case of multiple births e.g. twins)
name, surname and sex of the baby
date of parents' marriage if applicable
mother's maiden surname
We'll also need to know:
We recommend that you bring your passports or birth certificates to prove this information and prevent mistakes.
You can buy a birth certificate at your appointment for £11. We accept cash and credit/debit cards.
Births outside of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole
If the baby was born outside of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (including Dorset) you should register the birth in the district where the birth took place.
If that's not convenient, you can still attend an office in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole to make a 'declaration'. We'll send the details to the register office in the district where the baby was born and they will send you the birth certificate, usually within a week.