Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Correct a birth certificate or re-register a birth

Correcting a birth certificate

If a mistake was made at the time of registering the birth, it may be possible to correct the record.

Corrections cost either £75 or £90, depending on the type of correction.

Please contact us if you wish to make a correction. You will be asked to provide evidence of the change you want to make and you will normally need to go to the register office to witness the correction.

Re-registering a birth

There are two circumstances where a birth can be re-registered:

A child's birth must be re-registered if the biological parents have married each other since the birth of their child, under the Legitimacy Act 1976. 

You can also re-register a child's birth to add the biological father's details to the original registration.

How to re-register

If you want to re-register your child's birth, you'll need:

  • a completed re-registration form
  • a marriage certificate, if the biological parents have married each other, or
  • a re-registration form to add the father's details

You can get a re-registration form at your local register office or download a form from GOV.UK.

Both parents need to fill in and sign the re-registration form, then contact the Register Office in England or Wales to make a an appointment.

Book an appointment

Contact us to book an appointment to correct a birth certificate or re-register a birth.


01202 633744


Poole Registration Service
The Register Office
The Guildhall
Market Street
BH15 1NF

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.