How the scheme works
The purpose of the van permit scheme is to reduce the amount of commercial waste that is brought into the recycling centres for free disposal. Commercial organisations should pay to dispose of their waste when commercial waste is deposited at a recycling centre. Without such payments, BCP Council taxpayers would need to cover the costs. Van permits are issued free of charge to:
- BCP Council residents whose only vehicle is a van, single-cab pick-up or commercial vehicle (maximum of 6 visits in a 12 month period); or
- BCP Council residents who own a van, single-cab pick-up or commercial vehicle and a car (maximum of 3 visits in a 12 month period).
We provide a van permit to you subject to our terms and conditions. You can apply for a van permit once you’ve read and agreed to these.
Entry to any of the three BCP Council sites remains at the discretion of our staff.
Which vehicles require a van permit
A permit is required for the following vehicles:
- vans up to 3.5 tonnes**
- single-cab pick-ups
- car derived vans.
The following vehicles don't require a permit:
- double-cab pick-ups*
- people carriers*
- estate cars
- hire vans (maximum three days hire)**.
The following vehicles are not allowed on site:
- vans over 3.5 tonnes
- vans towing trailers
- single-cab pick-ups towing trailers
- luton box vans
- flatbed vans
- tipper vans
- horse boxes
- agricultural vehicles
- hire vans – over 3 days hire.
* less than 3.5 tonnes, has no more than nine seats and has no seats removed.
** excluding van types listed under ‘not allowed on site’.
If you are disabled and your van or single-cab pick-up has been modified for your needs, then you can continue to dispose of your household waste as normal without a van permit as long as your vehicle is under 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight and you show your blue badge to BCP Council site staff.
If you have hired a van from a hire company for less than three days, the vehicle is less than 3.5 tonnes, you have a copy of the hire agreement and proof of BCP Council residency, then you can use the site to dispose of your household waste. Please note you will have to show the hire agreement to our site staff.