Household Recycling Centre
Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
This Household Recycling Centre has re-opened with a number of safety measures for residents who are unable to safely store additional waste at home and who have no alternative disposal options available.
On advice from the government, we have stopped our commercial waste service across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.
Information about Christchurch Household Recycling Centre including opening times and how to find it.
Christchurch Household Recycling Centre
Temporary opening times
Christchurch HRC will be open from 9am to 6pm every day until further notice.
Monday to Sunday:
- 9am to 6pm April to September
- 10am to 4pm October to March
The Household Recycling Centre is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day but please check the website for updates before travelling.
Who can use Christchurch Household Recycling Centre
You can use Christchurch Household Recycling Centre if you live in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole.
If you live in Christchurch you can also use Millhams Household Recycling Centre, Millhams Road, Bournemouth and Nuffield Household Recycling Centre at Nuffield Road, Poole. Please check individual web pages for restrictions before travelling.
Please take some identification with you to prove you live in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole. You can use:
- current Council Tax bill
- photocard driving licence
- any utility bill that shows your name and address
Dorset Council residents are also able to use Christchurch Household Recycling Centre on Wilverley Road and will need to bring proof of residence to access the site. Dorset Council residents may only bring cars to the site (no vans).
What you can take to the Christchurch Household Recycling Centre
- asbestos (charges apply)
- car batteries
- Christmas trees (fake and real)
- cooking oil
- electrical equipment
- engine oil
- fire extinguishers (charges apply)
- food waste
- fridges and freezers
- garden waste
- gas bottles (charges apply)
- glass (charges may apply for sheets/panels)
- hardcore (charges apply)
- household and garden chemicals labelled (maximum 5 litres of each chemical type)
- large domestic appliances
- mobile phones
- paper cups
- pillows and duvets
- plasterboard (charges apply)
- plastic bottles
- printer and toner cartridges
- rubble (charges apply)
- scrap metal
- small electrical items
- soil (charges apply)
- tyres (charges apply)
Charges for certain items
There are charges for bringing certain materials to the recycling centre.
Commercial waste can be accepted at Millhams HRC, Millhams Road, Bournemouth and Nuffield HRC at Nuffield Road, Poole. Please check individual web pages for restrictions before travelling.
Van and trailer restrictions
Please note that van and trailer restrictions apply at the recycling centre. Vans must have a valid permit or a hire agreement of a maximum of 3 days.
If you currently have a van permit for Christchurch which was issued by Dorset Council, please only use the recycling centre at Wilverley Road.
Vehicles that do not require a permit can use a trailer, but the maximum size is 1.2 metres wide and 1.8 metres long (approximately 6ft x 4ft).
Vehicles that require a permit and are towing a trailer are not allowed to access our recycling centres.
Asbestos must be:
- cement bonded type only
- double bagged
- a maximum one off deposit of up to 3 cement bonded sheets of 1.8m x 1.2m (approximately 6ft x 4ft) or 6 bags maximum (a bag is equivalent to a small, plastic, sand/aggregate bag from standard DIY stores (or similar) that can be safely lifted by one person). 2 bags equate to 1 sheet if taking a combination of sheets/bags
- paid for upon arrival