Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Universal Credit

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

Universal Credit is a new benefit, whatever your employment status, and should make changes into and out of work easier as people won’t need to move to a different benefit. For example whilst claiming it will be easier to:

  • take temporary or part-time work
  • increase your hours
  • work overtime

If you are making a new claim for any of these benefits, you will now need to claim Universal Credit instead:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

The Department for Work & Pensions has provided up to date information on 'Understanding Universal Credit'

Money Advice

Housing Benefit and paying your rent

Universal Credit may include money towards your housing costs. You’ll have to arrange with your landlord to start paying your own rent, if you don’t do this already.

Find out details of your rent from your landlord, for example:

  • how much the rent is and how you need to pay it
  • if you need to pay any service charges or bills, for example, gas and electricity

If you think you’ll have problems managing your rent, talk to your landlord or Universal Credit work coach if you want to find out more about how payments can be made directly to your landlord.

Help with Council Tax

Help with Council Tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. You need to make your Council Tax Support claim to us when you apply for Universal Credit. If you don't, you may miss out.

Find out about Council Tax Support

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.