Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

How a Discretionary Housing Payment is calculated and paid

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

How DHPs are calculated

When we decide whether to pay a Discretionary Housing Payment we will look at all the answers you have given in the application form. We will look very closely at all your income and outgoings and any savings you may have.
We will then take into account the following:

  • whether you would be able to agree a lower rent with your landlord
  • when your tenancy is due to end
  • if you could afford the rent when your tenancy started
  • what other debts you have and whether you have tried to get help to clear these
  • if you are able to agree to make lower repayments for some of the other debts you have, such as credit cards or store cards
  • if there any other income or benefits you could get which would help you pay your rent or council tax
  • what else you are doing to try to help your problems in paying your rent or council tax
  • if there are health issues with you or a member of your family which mean that you need to stay in the home you live in
  • if there are things that could change in the near future which would mean you have more income
  • if you are able to reduce non-essential expenditure

We will look carefully at the answers to the questions we have asked you. If the money you pay out is more than you have coming in we may decide to pay you a discretionary housing payment.

If we decide to pay you a Discretionary Housing Payment we will write to tell you how much we will be paying and for how long.

How DHPs are paid

If we decide to pay you a Discretionary Housing Payment towards your rent it will normally be paid together with your Housing Benefit

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.