Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Second Adult Rebate

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

If you are of State Pension Credit Age and you do not have a partner or if your partner is disregarded for Council Tax you may be entitled to Second Adult Rebate, if other adults living in your property are on low income.

Second Adult Rebate is a type of Council Tax Support. You can't get both Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate at the same time. If you qualify for both, you will receive the one that pays the most.

People who live alone in a property get 25% single person discount off their Council Tax bill. If another adult lives with you, and they have a low income, you might get Second Adult Rebate.

A second adult must:

  • live with you
  • not be named as someone who has to jointly pay the council tax with you
  • not get any other council tax discount
  • not pay rent to you

You can't claim Second Adult Rebate if you are married or have a partner, unless they are not counted for council tax purposes.

How is Second Adult Rebate worked out?

To decide if you can get second adult rebate we only look at the gross income (before deductions for Tax or National Insurance) of the second adult. Your income and savings are not included when we work this out.

How much is Second Adult Rebate?

This will depend on the income of the second adult, the most that you can get is 25% off the full Council Tax bill.

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.