Who can claim Council Tax Support
Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.
See further information about changes to services.
You may get Council Tax Support if:
- you pay Council Tax
- you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
- you receive Pension Credit
- your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000
If you make a claim for or already receive Universal Credit, this will not include Council Tax Support so you will need to make a claim for Council Tax Support with your local council to help pay your Council Tax.
You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, you will need to make a claim together.
Who isn’t eligible
Usually you won’t get Council Tax Support if:
- your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit
- you do not have to pay council tax or exempt from paying it
- you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
- you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds