Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert
Services in Christchurch

Who can claim Council Tax Support

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

You may get Council Tax Support if:

  • you pay Council Tax
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
  • you receive Pension Credit  
  • your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

If you make a claim for or already receive Universal Credit, this will not include Council Tax Support so you will need to make a claim for Council Tax Support with your local council to help pay your Council Tax.

You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, you will need to make a claim together.

Who isn’t eligible

Usually you won’t get Council Tax Support if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit
  • you do not have to pay council tax or exempt from paying it
  • you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
  • you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.